Thursday, October 2, 2008

Crazy days....

I am trying to get a grip on my schedule these days.  Jack is managing the soccer team on Mon, Tue, Thu and Fri, and taking a workshop after school on Wednesdays, so I have been picking him up at his school after 5pm.  Megan just joined chorus and percussion.  She has to be at school early on Wednesday mornings, and picked up later on Thursdays.  Fortunately for me, my next door neighbor's daughter is also taking both things, so my neighbor has offered to do the extra driving.  The elementary school is offering language classes either before or after school.  Megan, Colleen and Shane would have the opportunity to take Spanish, German, French, or ASL.  But I can't swing the extra driving on top of the homework supervision required of me.  Things are pretty quiet around here from 8-2:45, but it gets very busy once the kids start arriving home from school.  I am thankful for the kids who get right to their homework and get it done with little or no help (or nagging) on my part.  Unfortunately, more of them need my help, (and nagging) to get it done.  And, with various projects, tests and quizzes, it is a lot to stay on top of.   Katie is so happy to be done with school for awhile!

I mailed Katie's linens and a few other things to Denver yesterday afternoon.  She got a call last night from an Americorps rep asking if she would still be interested in serving if the program gets delayed because of the new fiscal year budget.  She is supposed to leave for Denver on Saturday!   She should know by the end of the day tomorrow if she is still going.  I know she's a bit distressed, but I am pretty sure it will all work out as planned.  At least I hope so!  Talk about pins and needles!  We've already planned to eat out and go ice skating as a family tomorrow night - which is her "last night home" wish. 

There was an accident on 195 this morning, just south of here.  As a result, traffic was backed up on Rte 1 (alternate route), which I take to drop Jack off for his bus at our church.  I waited with him for as long as I could, but I could only stay till 7:20 in order to get back home and see that Timmy caught his bus.  Jack's bus ended up coming an hour late, (8:05) and the elementary school buses were late, too.  I had to take Mick to an ENT appt in Springfield, and brought Katie and Kiley with me so we could take the HOV lane, since we were running late as a result of waiting for the kids' buses.  Little did I know that the HOV exit was way past where I needed to get off, so I ended up doing a lot of back-tracking and got lost.  Needless to say, we were very late for that appt!  Katie kept calling the office from the road and getting adjusted directions, so at least they knew we were coming!  They fit us in shortly after we got there, and Mick had to endure having his ears cleaned out while I sat on his legs and held his hands down.  Both tubes are out, and I am praying he won't need new ones.  After seeing what came out of his ears, I imagine he can probably hear a whole lot better now!  Yuck.  I was all set to find a different (closer) ENT, until the receptionist gave me better directions to head back home, and we made it in good time (still 45 minutes, though).  Timing is everything around here, and I've learned that it is almost always better to stay in Stafford or go South for appts, if possible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment