Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Scam Alert!

 I recently posted a piece of furniture for sale on Craigslist. I received this email from someone who claimed to be interested:

 Subject: Re: Solid wood china hutch - $500 (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 />Stafford) Date: Sep 20, 2008 3:10 PM

Hi, How are you doing? I got your information and Thanks so much for the info. The payment will be sent Asap. I'll be sending a check of $1565. Once you get the payment, take it to your Bank and have it cashed or deposited, this will take 2-3 business days. Once the check cashed,I will want you to deduct the payment for the Item,and Send the rest funds to the mover via Western Union or Money Gram in your location,coz the mover will be helping pick up other items around the city.Once the mover confirms the payment,the pick up of the Item will be done.I hope this work fine with you. I will be looking forward to hear from you Soon. Thanks

-----------------------------------------------

I  received a check yesterday for the above listed amount in a FedEX envelope, with the return address of a sporting goods company in Wisconsin.  This same company's name and address was on the header of the check, and it was signed by what appears to be "Jinell A. Oyama" I strongly suspected this was a scam, and after reading about such scams on Craigslist, I emailed the "prospective buyer" and told him I am not interested in doing business with him.  I googled the sporting goods store (which does exist) and emailed to tell them about the check from their address.  They confirmed today that it is indeed a scam.  Dang. 

Anybody want to buy a china hutch?

No comments:

Post a Comment