Monday, August 13, 2007

Priorities

I banned TV for the day after my kids were fighting (for the 35 millionth time) over what to watch.  It's been almost too hot to play outside, and they'd spend all day in front of the TV if I let them.  My 7 year old asked me if she could read Junie B. Jones after dinner, and I said, "Of course!".  Well, I had a meeting to go to from 7-9, and she came knocking on my door as I was getting ready.  When she saw that I had changed my clothes, her face fell, and, even though I had been telling all the kids, all day, that I would be going to this meeting, apparently she forgot, and there she was, book in hand, ready to read TO ME.   She crumpled, buried her face in a pillow and sobbed that I was going out.  Mind you, I don't go out a lot, and usually only when there is something that I really need to go to.  She also doesn't cry at the drop of a hat, so of course I felt horrible.  I promised her we would read when I got home, (even though it would officially be past her bedtime by then).  As I was leaving, Mick started crying, too, and I was so tempted to reconnect the cable and turn the TV on so they'd have something else to focus on, other than their mother abandoning them!!!!  As I was driving to the meeting, my 15 year old passed me on her bike, returning from a friend's house.  She waved happily, and as I caught sight of her in the rear view mirror, I couldn't help but wonder where the time has gone since she used to want to read with me!  They do grow so fast.  Anyhow, I came home at 9, put on pjs, and Colleen and I curled up in my bed so that she could read to me.  3 minutes passed and there was a knock on the door.  It was Shane, who wanted to listen too.  1 more minute passed.....knock, knock, it was Megan, wanting to join in.  2 minutes later, Timmy was at the door, wanting to know if we were having a party in here.  By this time, my bed looked like Charlie's grandparents' bed in Willy Wonka - 3 at the head of the bed, and two at the foot of the bed.  Colleen was getting frustrated at each new arrival, and interruption.  We've been sporadically reading  "Mrs Pigglewiggle", so I took over the reading, and we read a chapter about a boy who had trouble sharing.  I would love to have a Mrs Pigglewiggle of my own to go to for advice on child-rearing!  All the noise woke Kiley up, and she ended up in bed with us.  I really think she just likes to be included in things.  After that chapter, Colleen said she was tired, and we all said prayers and they went to bed.  Kiley fell asleep with no trouble, too!  Reading to your children is heavily stressed in the schools.  My kids are strong readers, so far.  Colleen is getting there.  But I can't take the credit, I don't read to them nearly enough (I barely have time to finish a magazine in one sitting myself!).  I am glad we read tonight.  I had intended to call an old, dear friend tonight, who I got an email from today.  Mary, if you read this, I hope you will forgive me, and I will call tomorrow so we can catch up!  I know that when I take a little extra time with my kids, we are all better for it.  Makes me realize how little it takes to make them happy.  That's something I need to remember.............

No comments:

Post a Comment