Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Back to School....

My goodness,  we had a frenzied day today.  Some of the kids needed shots for school, and what better day to take them, than the day before school starts? ! Then we went shopping for school.  I spent almost $400 at Walmart, mostly on school supplies, and that wasn't counting the four backpacks I bought a couple of weeks ago, or the supplies I had already bought when Walmart and Staples had their big sales.  Yikes.  Maybe home schooling would be cheaper.  Then again, I am not sure I can put a price on my sanity!  I was looking forward to breakfast with a friend in the morning, after the bus leaves, but then I realized today that Mick doesn't start preschool till September 6th.   If I can't get him into the drop in daycare in the morning, we will have breakfast at IHOP.  Otherwise, it will be Cracker Barrel.  I do look forward to a little quiet time during the day.  And I definitely have some housekeeping to catch up on!  It will be nice to clean the floors and have them stay clean for a few hours...........

We went to the middle school orientation today, and Timmy met his teachers.  They are the same team of teachers that Jack had in 6th grade.  I was able to speak to each of them individually and tell then a little bit about Timmy.  I asked them to please be sure to contact me if they have any concerns about him.  I do worry that he isn't ready, academically, or socially for middle school.  He has diagnosed learning difficulties, as well as ADHD, and so far, I think his teachers have not expected from him as much as he is capable of doing.  And, like many kids, he will do just the bare minimum that is required to get by.  Which is a shame, because he really is quite bright, just has a hard time getting what he knows onto paper.  He is my heart.  When I see him struggle, it almost hurts me physically.  I have done a lot of reading about ADHD.  It is a very real disorder, and affects people who have it differently.  I hope that his teachers will push him this year.  I hope that he will be able to handle his frustration when things get difficult.  I hope I will be able to help him with his homework!!!  And, I hope he and Jack will be there to help one another with the social aspects of school.  I could tell that Jack enjoyed showing Timmy around the school today.   They will ride the bus together, but probably won't see each other much during the school day.  It is always my hope that my kids will stick together if/when things get rough.  At least I know that if there are bullying problems on the bus this year, one of them will tell me about it!  But, it's a new year, and a fresh start, and here's hoping it will be a good one for all........

 

No comments:

Post a Comment