Monday, November 3, 2008

Where's my sign?

So we are at the end of the driveway waiting for the elementary school bus this morning and my neighbor's daughter says, "Hey, where is your John McCain sign?". This same girl and her sister saw some kids pull it up a few weeks ago, and then run off when they yelled at them. Before this weekend there were not many signs out at all, but suddenly there are lots of Obama/Biden signs on our street. And that is fine - advertise for your candidate - just let me advertise for mine as well. I hate bumper stickers, and I have a McCain/Palin bumper sticker on the van. True, Tim put it there before I could stop him, but it's growing on me.... But, I am not stealing and/or destroying any Obama signs, so leave mine alone! As I've stated before, I am not usually all that in to politics. But this particular election has me following things closely. I went to the local Republican HQ this morning with the intention of getting as many signs as they would give me and sticking them up all over my lawn. I hate confrontation, but I can be as passive/agressive as the next person! I got only two signs. One is up now, and I have one in the garage to put up tomorrow if the other one gets stolen.

I am so very weary of all the negative ads on both sides. I have a hard time understanding (or maybe I am just naive) why the candidates cannot stand on their own merits and let their records speak for them. I firmly believe that if you are "all that", it will be obvious to everyone, and you don't have to put someone else down to make yourself look good. I think that is what I dislike most about politics. I will be glad when that part is over.

The kids had a mock election at their school today. It is interesting to see the kids get defensive of "their" candidates - because you know that most if not all of their opinions are soley based on who their parents are voting for. Obama won the school election, and apparently there was some gloating from the kids who voted for him. Not to say it wouldn't have been the same way if McCain had won, among his supporters. But, my kids voted Republican. When I asked them why, Colleen told me it is because Obama wants to pull the Marines out of Iraq before they are done with their job, and the Iraqi people will suffer as a result. An almost direct quote from her dad. Megan said it's because of his pro-life stance. I had the abortion discussion with her a few weeks ago when she asked me why we are voting for John McCain. I think she was in disbelief when I explained it to her - not a discussion I relish having with any of my kids, but all the more poignant when statistics say that 90% of women who receive a prenatal diagnosis of Down Syndrome chose to abort their babies. Having Sarah Palin and her beautiful wanted, and much loved baby in the news is such a reinforcement of what is good and right. My kids could not imagine life without their own little brother (as much trouble as he is sometimes!) and the thought that he is not perfect has never crossed their minds. Nor has the thought that anything "imperfect" or "inconvenient" should be destroyed. The innocence of children is wonderful to behold.

I did tell the girls that no matter who wins the election, it is our duty to pray for that person, that God will give him the wisdom and the fortitude to do the job well, and to make the best decisions for the good of ALL of America. And, we need to continue to pray. Not only is it all we can do at this point, it is the very best thing we can do!

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts! I found you through Crazeemommy... Don't know if you're my neighbor or not, but I sense a kindred spirit!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a lot of "sign pulling" in our area too. Although I still didnt see one single Obama sign...strange huh?! I love your post and completely agree with your opinions! Great post as always Joan :)

    Della

    ReplyDelete