Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Awards


Timmy missed his bus yesterday morning. Couldn't find his backpack. Since he was already going to be late for school, I made an appt with his foot doctor. We had to pick up his insoles, which the Dr had modified. This Dr was practicing out of two offices, Stafford and Fredericksburg. I learned yesterday that he is no longer practicing in Stafford, so we made an 11:30 appt in Fredericksburg. Lest Timmy think he was being rewarded for missing the school bus, when we stopped for lunch I only allowed him to have the 6 piece chicken McNugget happy meal instead of the 10 piece. We got to the Dr's office, waited for just a little bit, and when the Dr came in, he said, "How are those insoles working out for you?" I told him that we didn't have them yet, so he proceeded to search the office for them, and made a phone call. Guess where they were? In the Stafford office. But, since we were in Fredericksburg already, and since I had made prior plans to have coffee with my friend, we stopped by their house. Again, not wanting Timmy to feel rewarded for missing so much school, I forbade him to have fun with my friend's son during our visit. Afterwards, we headed to Shane's school for an award assembly. I had a message from his teacher inviting me to come since he was getting a reward. I was proud and envisioning what award he would receive: Most improved? Hardest worker? Good citizenship? School spirit? Nope. He got "Perfect attendance". He and about 8 other kids. I clapped as hard as I could anyhow. Today, Mick has an award ceremony at his school. When his teacher called to invite me, she told me he would be getting an award, too, and that yesterday, she told him to wear his nicest shirt for the ceremony. Gee, he did not relay that message to me.....I think she was implying that the shirt he is wearing today, which says "I get my muscles from my dad" was not appropriate, but assured me that I could come up before the ceremony and bring him a better shirt. On a side note, I forgot his class picture day last month, and sent him to school in play clothes. When the pictures came back, he was wearing a shirt that I did not recognize. I envisioned some other 5 year old boy, shirtless and shivering, waiting till Mick got his picture taken so he could have his shirt back. While I appreciate his teacher ensuring he looks his best for school pictures, I don't think I will be cutting Kiley's nap time short just so he can be dressed to her standards! Anyhow, Mick has missed a few days of school, so he does not qualify for perfect attendance. I am curious to see what award he'll get ("Best Dressed" is obviously out....)

Here are some categories that I just know my kids would be competetive for:

Most likely to fall down the stairs with underwear on his head

Girl most likely to bring home a stray cat, or a misunderstood teenaged boy

Female most likely to leave her purse behind in a public place (actually I am tied for this one...)

Most shoes - all left ones

Most likely to leave home wearing mismatched shoes

Most likely to leave his homework at home

Most likely to claim he has no homework

Most likely to be "sick" on Monday mornings

Most likely to steal the twist ties from the bread or the trash bags

Most likely to put the milk carton away empty

Same with the ice trays

Most likely to leave more toothpaste in the sink than is used for brushing

Most likely to get into the shower without checking for a towel first

I could think of more, but that last one just made me realize I should take a shower before I head up to Mick's school. I might even wear some nice clothes.








1 comment:

  1. I think some of my kids may be in the running for some of those awards!

    ReplyDelete