Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Beauty of Being 40

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.” -- Audrey Hepburn

I love this quote.  I am beginning to appreciate my age.  I never had that mid-life crisis (at least not yet), or depression about hitting 40.  In fact, there are a lot of things that are great about being where I am in life.  I feel like I am freer to be myself, because as the years go by, I care less about what other people think.  I wore a costume to our party last night.  I realized when I came home that my hair was a mess from taking my hood on and off all night, and that I hadn't freshened my makeup before the party, and that the costume wasn't exactly the most flattering outfit (I made a monkey costume out of a sweat suit).  There were lots of people there that I had never met.  There were probably a few who thought the CO's wife should be more dignified, or something.  But........I DON'T CARE!  I am who I am.  I have a great husband who loves me (and doesn't let on if I am embarrassing him).  And, I love to embarrass my kids!  While there are some things I would probably change about myself physically if money were no object, I am eating right, and I feel good.  I need to step up the exercise, and I know that would help increase my weight loss, but I am losing, so I am moving in the right direction.  Many years ago, I would be stressing about getting the perfect dress for the Marine Corps Ball (we have two to attend this year), but I haven't thought about it much, and it doesn't bother me to wear something I've worn before.  I sometimes wish I could impart this peace to my teenagers, who have drama nearly every day about friends, or their bodies, or their hair, or what to wear.  I remember feeling the same way and it is nice to be past all that.  Of course, I am not really past it because I have to play my part in helping them to resolve some of these issues.  The ones they want help with, at least!  I suppose life experience helps you to sort out the things that matter most, and those that just aren't worth worrying about.   40 is not so bad........



 

No comments:

Post a Comment