Monday, September 24, 2007

Table talk

We will be due for orders next summer.  Which means that after 5 years in this house, we will be moving once again.   This is the longest we've been in any home, and we've accumulated nearly 5 years of 11 people's stuff.  I am beginning to realize that it is a common phenomenon that when military members return from a deployment, they think that "if it doesn't fit in a sea bag, you don't need it".   I promised my husband that I will start pitching stuff each week, in preparation for our move - so that we don't end up in the next place with a lot of stuff we don't need or use.  It's a great plan.  I am almost ready to give away the box of size 7/8 jeans that have been in the attic since we moved in.  I have boxes of sewing stuff - patterns, fabric, notions, etc, that I never have time to use.  I love to sew!  We have orange life vests in the garage.  We don't own a boat.  So much of it is just plain junk.  Once the weather cools down a bit, I'll be able to get up into the garage and start pulling stuff out for Goodwill or the trash.

Our current issue involves tables.  In March I ordered a dining room set from Amishtables.com.  This table is 6 feet long, with 4 leaves, solid oak.  It is beautiful, but during shipment, the top was gouged.  The company said they wouldn't be able to repair it to like-new condition, so they ordered a new one to be built, which will be delivered today.  They won't send the old table back, so now we'll have two tables, both the same size.  I would like to keep the scratched one (the damage is in the middle, and can be covered up by a centerpiece), in the event that we might own a house one day, and have a breakfast room where we can put it up, without the leaves in it.  Then we can have the other table set up in our dining room.  Problem is, in this house, we have no place to put two tables.  I suggested that we don't assemble the new table, but store it under our bed till we move, but my husband thinks we should just sell the other one to someone (we have friends who have expressed interest).  This is one of those things that I don't want to look back on someday and say "We should have kept both tables".  But, practically speaking, it makes more sense to sell it someone who can use it, than to keep it "just in case".  He'll probably win this one.....

No comments:

Post a Comment