Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Gossip

 
"There is so much that is good in the worst of us, and bad in the best of us, that it doesn't behoove any of us to talk about the rest of us."
 
This is a quote from Heartthrobs, an old book my mom gave to me, and the title is "Charity".  The author is unknown.
 
Gossip hurts.  Some people take way too much pleasure in knowing everyone else's business, and sharing it with anyone who will listen.  People forget that there are often more than two sides to a story.  Many people who gossip don't even have anything to do with the story - they are just bystanders with their own take on things. 
 
What is sad is when you see friendships ruined, or relationships torn apart.  Sometimes things go on for so long that the original point of contention has been long forgotten. All parties fuel their resentment with gossip from everyone else, often trying to validate their feelings.Relationships fall to the wayside. Often, only because people have been careless with their words. None of us knows what tomorrow will bring, or if tomorrow will even come!  If people could only recognize their own and one another's weaknesses, and exchange pardon for being human, I think people would find that they aren't so alone, after all!
 
My mother-in-law was once describing to me a lady she knew.  She told me that this woman, "Never had an unkind word to say about anyone".  That is a great compliment.  If people are going to talk about me, that's what I want them to say!
 
I have often been accused of being "too nice".  I am proud that I am nice.  Yes, sometimes that means that I get taken advantage of - such as in the case of the un housebroken dogs staying here not once, but twice!  Now that my husband is home, that won't happen again.  Which isn't to say he isn't nice, but things are more balanced around here when he's home!!!  I do believe you cannot be too nice -too rich? too thin, yes- but not too nice. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment