Tuesday, July 3, 2007

68%

My husband is approximately 68% of the way through his deployment. For me, the time is passing quickly, but today I was thinking about some of the things that have transpired since he left.

Kiley was born. She will be 5 and 1/2 months old when he returns!

Mick learned how to open the front door, and despite a lock on the back gate, he has learned how to escape. We've added a bungee cord to the back gate, out of his reach, and another gate to the front door, which used to latch automatically, but doesn't anymore, and he gets out there, too. He usually goes from the back yard to the front door and rings the doorbell, and that is often how we know he got out. However, twice our neighbors brought him back because he went down to their houses. His guardian angel is working overtime, and I am not as comfortable as I used to be leaving him here with the older kids while I run errands. However, to be fair, I've been home most of the times he has gotten out. I am beginning to think having him wear a gps tracking system might not be such a bad idea.........Or putting an alarm on the doors (do you have any idea how many times the doors open in this house?!) Or installing an invisible fence and getting him a shock collar (just kidding....) I do realize how serious this could be, and it was one of the main reasons I wanted a house further from the main road. So far, he has stayed close to home.

My oldest daughter just completed her Junior year in high school. She is looking into joining Americorps after graduation. I think it would be good for her. One of her best friends happens to be a guy. He and she spent a lot of time together, and said they were going to get married just so that they could have each other's parents as in-laws. He would come here and hang out and watch movies, and play with the little kids (which I loved, and they loved).. The noise and chaos never seemed to bother him much, and he always asked if there was anything he could do for me. Once, he cleaned out my dryer vent and assembled the kids' teeter-totter. But, she always insisted that theirs was a platonic relationship. She says that high school romantic relationships are ridiculous, and full of drama, and has said she wants no part in all that. Well, he now has a girlfriend, who doesn't like my daughter (according to my daughter), and so she never sees him anymore. And she misses him. So do I. So does my 15 year old daughter. He is exactly the kind of young man I'd love to see any of my daughters marry some day. I remember the somewhat startling revelation that now when I see a young man, I think about what kind of match he might be for one of my girls. I think this started happening about the time I realized that there are many doctors younger than I am! Kind of creepy from the other side of the stirrups!

I will be so glad to have my husband home. I would never choose to be a single parent. There are so many things that happen within a family, that only a husband and wife can share in the same way. It must have to do with the whole combination of our genes which make these people we've created so incredibly wonderful, wildly impetuous, remarkably unique, and equally challenging. I am so ready to have him here in person to share the ride! And I miss the way he makes me laugh.............

No comments:

Post a Comment