Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Miracle of Life!

I was privileged to witness the birth of a baby this morning!  One of our battalion wives delivered her 4th child at the Naval hospital at 1:19am.  Her husband is in Iraq with mine, and fortunately, he was able to speak to her by phone about an hour before the birth, and 30 minutes afterwards.  Not the same as being there, of course, but I know she was glad to hear his voice.  This was the first time I was present at a birth.  It was fabulous.  You would think, after having 9 babies myself, it wouldn't seem so fascinating, but it is way different when it is someone else!  I videotaped (from over her shoulder, nothing graphic), and of course cried when the baby was born.  I am glad for her that her labor wasn't incredibly long, and she had to push only 4 times before her baby girl was born.  Her two other girls, 13 and 6, were there, but were watching TV when all the action was going on.  We have five more local ladies due in the next few weeks/months.  Most will do this without their husbands.  I am glad we live 5 minutes from the hospital, and I hope I will be able to be there for some of them.  I was thinking about this today.   It occurred to me that I never asked her if she wanted me there - I just went because I wanted to.  I sincerely hope that no one would be embarrassed or uncomfortable to have the "CO's wife" there.    I do hope they would be honest if they didn't want me to come.  Perhaps next time I will call first....

The miracle of life is a wonder to behold.  And there is nothing like a new baby to bring hope and joy to a sometimes troubled world.   What a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment