Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas craze....

I haven't written in awhile. Life has been busy! My mom and my brother Mark were in town for Jack's Confirmation last weekend. They arrived on Tuesday, December 2nd. I honestly never thought my mom would get here to see the house. She is 88 years old, and traveling has become increasingly difficult for her. She likes the comforts of home! We got her a room at the BOQ at Quantico so she could have her peace and quiet, and privacy at night. This turned out to be a good thing, because on Friday afternoon, Mark was rubbing Mick's tummy and singing him a song, and Mick threw up all over him. Nothing personal. Mark was up in the middle of the night throwing up, and again, early Saturday morning. Shane threw up as soon as we got to the church for the Confirmation mass. Kiley had diarrhea all day. We kept Shane and Mark away from my mom as much as possible, because this virus could make her very sick at her age. Megan got sick Saturday night, and Timmy got sick Sunday night. We had an early Christmas dinner with my mom and Mark on Sunday after lysoling the entire house, and ensuring that the sick kids kept their distance from Grandma. It was by no means the perfect family visit, but we did the best we could. I was able to sneak out alone and spend a couple of hours visiting my mom in her room on Saturday night. That was nice. There is never enough time, and it always goes too fast. Mark and my mom left on Monday morning, and so far, my Mom has not had symptoms, thank God! I had two poignant thoughts during and after their visit: (1) If I am blessed with my mother's longevity (her parents lived into their 90's), my life is not even half over! I hope to age gracefully, as she has. She has always maintained a positive attitude, and a kind spirit. She is a beautiful person, and a great example. (2) I know my brother Mark better now, after the three visits he made to see us this year, than I have ever known him. He is 16 years older than I am. He was always the fun, and funny brother. But he has a deep spiritual side to him that I didn't know existed till this past summer. I can't think of a better Confirmation sponsor for Jack - I am inspired by Mark's insight and wisdom, and his simple faith that, with God, all things are possible. I have found myself praying more, and praying differently since his visit. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have finally finished the Christmas letter - I usually pride myself with having the cards mailed right after Thanksgiving. I don't know what has taken me so long this time. Now, if I could just get my printer to cooperate so I can print the remaining 100 letters! The kids are out of school next Friday, so I have wrapping, labeling and hiding to do. We've also been recruited to help the neighborhood Santa on and before Christmas Eve. Molly and Jack will ride in the sleigh and pass presents up to Santa to distribute. We passed out fliers this weekend, and the neighbors say it is quite a production - they line the streets with luminaries to light Santa's way, and a police car with flashing lights and playing Christmas music over the loudspeakers precedes the truck which pulls the sleigh.

I have gotten to know Mrs Claus pretty well. She smells like cookies. Just kidding. She is a do-gooder, and apparently we have become one of her favorite charities. She volunteers at the base chapel, and she collects donations of clothing for the women's shelter and the young Marine families on base. I think she has a shed full of clothing, and she's always sending her daughter down to our house with stuff. Today there was a bag with two nice men's coats (I think she thought Jack looked cold in the jacket he wore yesterday while he was passing out fliers with Santa). Part of me feels sheepish - my kids HAVE appropriate clothing for the weather - they just don't always wear it! But, some of the stuff she sends is good stuff! And, why buy it if you can get it for free? For years, we have been fortunate to get perfectly serviceable and pretty nice hand-me-downs from various friends and neighbors. And, if we can't use it, or have outgrown things, we pass it on, as well. Some of the kids' favorite outfits have come in a bag from someone else!

Anyhow, I have much to do this week before school is out. I really want to have things done so that when the kids are out of school, we can relax and make cookies, and do fun Christmas stuff. Katie comes home in 6 days!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love "new" stuff that comes in a bag. We also pass things on and around! I think it's wonderful your mom could come visit. Mine was here for Thanksgiving and I always feel her visits weren't long enough. I hope your Christmas is virus free!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock! My favorite of your posts so far is the series of pictures of you with your girls. When I need a laugh, I look at it again! The one about the middle of the night chest pains was funny, too. I've been there! You are definitely a gifted writer. It is good to read about someone else's "Life in the Corps with more...."

    ReplyDelete