Thursday, September 4, 2008

Go Sarah!

I am not a fan of politics.  Quite honestly, I find a lot of it boring, and I definitely do not like the mud-slinging that has played a big part in recent elections.  I am, however,  married to a man who LOVES politics enough to have pursued a degree in political science.  He watches all of the political commentators (and actually enjoys these shows!)  I am slightly dismayed when they are on at the same time as one of my new favorite shows on HGTV, so I resort to watching with him, or I find something else to do.  Until now.  When we first saw John McCain's announcement of his selection for VP running mate, and learned that his choice was a woman, and a mother of 5 children, the youngest with Down syndrome, I was very intrigued.  I will admit that, before hearing her speak, I was skeptical.  What kind of mother, especially a mother of a large family has time to devote to a second career of such magnitude?  Why would she want to spend so much time away from her family?  How can she justify it especially when she has a child with DS?  And then I heard her speak, first at the announcment of her position as VP candidate, and most recently, at the RNC last night broadcast on TV.  Watching her and listening to what she had to say actually gave me chills - good chills.  I felt like I could identify with her on a human level.  I never felt like this before, which may be why I have found most politicians boring.  We have a big family.  We have a son with DS.  We have teenagers.  My husband is an active duty Marine who did two tours in Iraq.  She admits her family is not perfect, and that they have challenges like every typical family.  She is neither in-your-face about her daughter's pregnancy, nor is she apologetic, only saying she and her husband are sad that their daughter will be forced to grow up faster than she would otherwise, but they are proud of her for choosing to let her baby live (how chilling, in a bad way, is that wording - I don't believe that is exactly how she said it). She says her daughter will keep the baby, and that she and her future husband have the Palin family's love and support.  Are they happy about the circumstances? Probably not.  Are they handling the situation with compassion and love?  Most definitely.   I doubt her son enlisted in the Army because his parents couldn't afford to pay for his college education.  I am sure his parents' examples of patriotism and sense of duty to country played some part in that decision.  And, she herself, after undergoing prenatal testing, discovered that her own baby would have "special challenges".  They knew he had DS (as we did with Mick) before he was born, and despite her career, despite what may have been an "easy" choice for many, they also chose to bring him into the world.  Having just said that, it is my conviction that if you truly believe every child is a gift from God, there is no "choice" involved - why would you turn down any gift?  It's an obvious thing - but I know there are those who see it differently.  She promises to advocate for families who have children with special needs.  You cannot know what that involves unless you are living it.  Anyhow, here is a woman who has strong convictions and lives by them.  How can you not admire that - even if you don't share those convictions? 

As far as sharing career and family - just because I don't feel that I could do both well, it does not mean that she could not.  She has the means to hire help (what mother wouldn't if she could?!) with the day to day stuff, and her children certainly appear to be happy and healthy and proud of their mom.  I love the way she talks about her husband, and you can tell that her job is a family affair.  She has a good head for business, as well as the like ability factor.  If she has a God-given gift in the ability to make a difference in thiscountry, and to make people think a little bit about what is right and moral and good, then she and John McCain, if elected, have the opportunity to bring about great change. Sarah is more than a mother, and more than a politician.  She somehow manages to be both, with grace and class, and without sacrificing her femininity.  She has it all.  And she has my vote!

2 comments:

  1. You said everything perfectly! I agree with you so much! Glad I found your journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joan, It's Mary Sullivan, Sheila Barkey's sister.  I am so happy you have come aboard regarding politics. I too, love Sarah Palin.  I have been following her long before she was McCain's VP choice.  I'm like your husband in that I follow politics.  I didn't like that McCain was the republican nominee, but I love that he chose Palin as the VP.  She's a pro-life conservative and that's what our leadership needs.  I never thought it would be a woman though.  In this entry, you stated very well how I feel about Palin.  I sent your entry to my daughter Caitlin who is a junior in college, majoring in political science and aspiring to be a lawyer.  She's the campaign manager for the Republicans in her district in South Bend are (she attends Saint Mary's College Notre Dame) and is the VP of College Republicans.  This past week she was interviewed on TV about Palin and I was so proud of what Caitlin had to say about her.  Keep up your enthusiasm for this year's election and pass on your beliefs.  Someone like you can be a very important voice in obtaining victory in November.  xoxoxo Mary Sullivan

    ReplyDelete