Saturday, March 4, 2006

Lamps and stuff...

Lamps in this house have short lives.  They seem to get knocked over regularly, and we are always replacing bulbs.  And not a single lamp has it's original shade, I bet.  Anyhow, I just finished rewiring one of my favorite floor lamps.  I did learn, the hard way, that it is wise to unplug said lamp before attempting this task, and I am still seeing blue spots.  BUT, I did it!  It has occured to me just now that we have a neighbor who has an absolutely beautiful, and very large, tiffany floor lamp in her living room.  I don't think my kids will EVER be allowed to go into her house!!!!!!!

I am also in the process of building a full sized loft bed for Colleen and Megan to sleep in.  They share a full bed now, but with all four girls in one room, we need to maximize the space available.  Not to mention that stuff disappears under their bed now, that is usually outgrown by the time they find it!  I bought plans off the internet, took them to Lowes, and bought the lumber and hardware today.  I planned to go to the woodshop here on base and have the guys there help me to cut the wood and drill the holes etc.  Actually, and I am ashamed to admit this, but my plan was to play the "Oh, silly me, this is my first project, and I don't know what I am doing" card, in the hopes that they'd do it all for me so I could just take it home, sand, paint and assemble it.  But, no.  The manager of the shop went over the plans with me, and made several suggestions for changes that would make the bed safer and more durable (he's from a family of 8, and knows how important it is that it be sturdy because of the wear and tear it is likely to take).  By the time he was done explaining the modifications to me, it was too late to make any cuts, so Tim and I will go back tomorrow, and hopefully, we can kick it out so that I can spend this week finishing it and fixing up their little corner of the room.  Tim is going out of town for two nights this week, and that is the best time for me to do my projects.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment