Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Words

Last night,  I was sorting through a myriad of white socks, in several different sizes, in an attempt to find enough matching pairs to fit 16 feet this morning.  I was simultaneously flipping channels and came across a comedian who was pretty much making fun of everyone in the universe - race, color, creed, no exceptions, were fair game.  A lot of his act was funny.  Then he started making fun of people with cerebral palsy, people with Down Syndrome, and people who are physically handicapped.  This made me a little sad, and a little mad.  Just lately, the word "retarded" has gained popularity.  Kids, adults, movies (Napoleon Dynamite - which was a funny movie, by the way), and musicians (Black-Eyed Peas) are all using the word retarded to mean that someone/something, is just really stupid, really screwed-up.

From Webster's Online Dictionary:

Main Entry: re·tard·ed
Pronunciation: ri-'tär-d&d
Function: adjective
sometimes offensive : slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress

As a parent of a child with Down Syndrome, I flinch a little when I hear this word tossed around in a flippant, or mean way.  My kids are not allowed to use it in that way - but, then again, they know what it really means.  They all hear it, though.  I told my 10 year old today, when he told me that his friend called him retarded, that it comes out then as an insult to both him, and to his little brother, who has Down Syndrome.  I don't believe Timmy's friend meant to insult either of my boys, I think he was joking around like kids do.  But it does concern me that so many people use this term in this way.

Mick is funny.  He does goofy things, and probably always will.  But, he isn't stupid.  And, his extra chromosome pretty much assures that he won't have a mean bone in his body.  I would much rather my kids be sweet, kind and loving, than smart, cool, and popular if it means they have to insult other kids to reach that status.  Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I hear what your saying. I think words hit harder when they are so close to home. Maybe I too would feel different if one of my own had a disability. My mother in-law, sister in-law, myself and now my oldest child work with mentally challenged adults and children. The word retard used to bother my mother in-law, but now it is just a word to us. Not that we use it daily, but it just doesn't affect us anymore.
    I guess all you can do is teach your babies what the word means and how it could make others feel....

    april

    ReplyDelete