Saturday, December 17, 2005

A Chance meeting...

I was working in the primary school's Santa Shop on Thursday.  I started talking with the lady who was wrapping gifts next to me.  She is pregnant with her 3rd child.   I asked the usual questions, "Is your husband home?"  - "He is", "How old are your other children, where do you live, etc....".  When I asked her how her pregnancy is going, she said "Pretty well, except that the doctors say there is a 1 in 110 chance that this baby has Down Syndrome".  I could barely contain my excitement, and went on to tell her about Mick, my pregnancy with him, the issues we've faced so far, and the special joys he has brought to our family.  She admitted that she hasn't done any reading about Down Syndrome, but has talked to a friend of her brother, who has a child with DS.  I couldn't help but feel that God put me there to help her, if I can, so I asked if she would be receptive to my sending her links to webpages about Down Syndome.  Fortunately, there is much more out there to read that is positive than there used to be.  While it's true that it could well turn out that her baby does not have DS, she will know soon enough (she is due in February), and it is my personal feeling that even if he does not, she will have learned that this condition is not the end of the world, and that, in fact, people with DS have a positive affect on everyone they meet.  I got a very nice email from her yesterday, and I will continue to pray that her baby is healthy and the rest of her pregnancy is uncomplicated.  I hope that she will feel comfortable turning to me if she has questions or concerns, and I hope that I  will know the right words to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment