Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Makeup....with a PS

I got a call a little while ago from my neighbor across the back (the one who "enjoys" the noise my children make in the yard). She sells Mary Kay. She announced this at the luncheon, and I did mention at that time that I could certainly use some help in the makeup department. She called me and asked what my favorite MaryKay product is. I don't have a favorite, I haven't bought a lot of MaryKay (sorry Meredith!). She told me that if I could get 4 ladies (she specified "over 18" I suppose so that I wouldn't bring my four daughters at home who would most definitely not be paying customers) to come to her house Friday evening, I would get $50 in free products. So, I emailed my friends who live locally, not really expecting any of them to come at such short notice. I am not a salesperson. I tend to invite people to this sort of thing wanting to say, "Please come, if you have absolutely nothing better to do like wash your hair or vacuum". I always cringe a little when asked to host a show because I feel like it is implied that if you come you must make a purchase - and I don't like to ask my friends to spend money just so I can get something free or at a discount. I don't care what anyone says, isn't that the "right" thing to do? I know I always make a purchase - in fact I seem to always find at least a few things I "can't live without". And, I do enjoy going to home parties - I like hanging out with the ladies, sampling products, and there are definitely some products or lines that sell themselves. I am just not sure that Mary Kay is one of them - do they have a product that will take 10 years off my face? For under $5? Probably not. Is their mascara or blush, or eye makeup any better than what you can get at the Maybelline section in Walmart? I do need advice (coaching) in the application of makeup, and what colors work, and what don't. The bloom is definitely off the rose and if it comes in a bottle or a color pallette that will make the most of what I have, I suppose it's worth it. Just don't ask me to sell it to someone else!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My friend says it best here, summing up a conversation she had with a friend who was trying to get her to start her own home-based business: "why are we always so reluctant to do direct marketing when we really believe in the product?"... I replied, " because we have all been at a tupperware, MK, Avon, basketpeople .... fill in the blank party and thought "what's the least I can spend on something I don't really want or need to support my friends goal without looking too cheap?" I, for one, don't want to put my friends in that awkward position ... it doesn't matter how many times you announce, "no pressure" with a smile. There is pressure."

I don't mean to imply that there aren't profitable businesses out there. Or good products to buy! Or wonderful salespeople who truly believe in their products! Only that when you are trying to live within a budget, you can't say yes to everything! And, that I am glad that I for one, don't have to make my living in sales........I am not good at it.





2 comments:

  1. the PS is very well spoken and perfect... and EXACTLY how I feel too!!!

    ReplyDelete