Friday, May 15, 2009

Lunch Bunch

I just returned from a gathering of neighborhood ladies for a potluck lunch at a house a couple of blocks from here. This lady put postcards on everyone's doors at the beginning of last week, advertising the lunch bunch as a way to get to know the neighbors better. To be honest, my first thought was, among other reasons, "We bought a house in town this time instead of moving into base housing so that we would have a little space between us and our neighbors." The fishbowl living had lost some of its appeal, the housing market was ripe, and we are getting close to retirement (maybe). But, I like the relative privacy we have here, and the big yard (despite the continuous massive cleanup of leaves) is a bonus. I know my immediate neighbors, and I am fine with that! So anyhow, as I was fixing a plate for Kiley in the kitchen, I overheard one lady saying, "this family moved in right behind us last summer. They have a lot of kids, I think, and they have a pool, and a trampoline...." At this point, I was holding my breath! She finished by saying, "It's so nice to hear childrens' voices (her kids are all grown), and they always sound like they are having so much fun!" I was glad I didn't have to duck and make a hasty retreat, as I surely would have if she had said something negative. I introduced myself, told her how many kids we have, apologized for the noise (which she insisted does not bother her), and got to know her a little bit. It was actually a very enjoyable luncheon. The dynamics of the neighborhood are varied and interesting. Since I have so much time on my hands (!) I mentioned that I have a little experience with newsletter writing, and said I would be willing to do a quarterly "e-newsletter" in which the neighbors could advertise their businesses, share recipes, tree and yard care tips, etc. The nice thing about there not being a Home Owner's Association in this neighborhood is that there aren't any rules about what could or could not be in the newsletter. I think it would be a great way to keep things local (and good advertising for babysitters, lawn care, etc.) And there would be no cost to publish it, since it would be transmitted via email, with the option for people to print it out if they wanted to. We shall see!

1 comment:

  1. I go through periods of time missing the close knit feeling you get knowing all your neighbors and then being glad I'm anonymous somewhat... Even here living "out in town" we're all military for the most part, so I wonder how I'll fair in retirement land, IF I ever see it...

    ReplyDelete