Thursday, January 8, 2009

The New Year

So here we are, over a week into 2009. My New Balance Personal Trainer daily email still tells me that every day so far is "rest day!" in preparation for the half marathon. So, guess what I am doing? Resting. I see no reason to argue with the professionals who have developed my training program and who will guide me through. Do I really plan to run a marathon this year? It sounded really good a month ago. My dear husband thinks I am being unrealistic and worries that I may in some way injure myself irreparably thus affecting the quality of the remainder of my years. Perhaps he is right. He is often my voice of reason. I could consider this a personal challenge, but honestly, I am pretty sure he would love me if I did or didn't do it, and while he might be shocked if I actually followed through, too much shock is not good for the heart....

I did walk two miles last Monday, pushing Kiley in the stroller, only stopping for 20 minutes so she could play at the park. It felt good. I've done nothing active since. In fact, I'm feeling pretty darned lazy. Not proud of that fact, but I need some inspiration. Or a kick in the pants.....

I briefly entertained the notion of getting a puppy. Tim's cousin told me that a Great Pyrenese would be a good family dog, and I've done some research. There is a breeder South of here who has a litter due in the Spring. I called her, and she will be selling the puppies for $1000 each. I saw an ad in the local paper this week for Pyrenese puppies, 2 females, 8 weeks old, for $200 each. Kiley and I went to see them this morning. The mom and dad dogs were there, and they were a beautiful family. Apparently, it was a litter of 12, and these two puppies were the last ones left. The lady told me if she didn't sell them by Saturday, she'd be taking them to an auction on Sunday. We played with the puppies, and the lady answered all my questions. Then I went home to do a little more research, and realized that this breed of dog would mean a lot of work for me. Lots of hair, everywhere. Besides, I told Tim I wouldn't get a puppy till Mick and Kiley are fully housebroken! Our last dog was small, and very low maintenance. She was a great family dog. I think low maintenance is the way to go next time, too. So I will be keeping my eyes open, but I am in no hurry!

I do need to get myself into gear. My list of house projects is not getting any shorter, and, while I have managed to get all the Christmas stuff down and mostly put away, there is still general upkeep that needs to be done. Constantly. My get up and go got up and left. If you happen to stumble upon it, would you send it back in my direction? Please?

2 comments:

  1. My mother-in-law and two of her friends all did their first marathon at 50. They do not run unless they are really feeling good. They did spend 5-6 days a weeks walking though. Kathleen has done 3 marathons and 4 half marathons. I think we can do anything we put our minds to, so if you really want to, you should go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely CAN do it, it's just a matter of what you are willing to sacrifice for your goal. Choice A; train for a 1/2 marathon. Potential sacrifice; your joints and some time on the pavement. Choice B; don't try. Potential sacrifice; that nagging voice, "do I even have it in me?", the wonderful example of fitness determination it would provide all those kids.
    God gave me arthritic knees and crooked feet, but if you go for this, you will ABSOLUTELY see me on the sidelines handing out Gatorade and shouting, "GO JOAN!! LOOKIN' GOOD!!!"

    ReplyDelete