Tuesday, December 18, 2007

HELP!!!!!

I wrote an entry last month saying that I was going to start my Christmas projects early this year.  I did order and receive my Christmas cards from Shutterfly before Thanksgiving.  But I cannot seem to open the file which contains my Christmas card address list.  163 names.  I had a paper copy of the same list.  But I cannot find it in all the Christmas clutter.  So, I am compiling a new address file, name by name, and sending cards to people I am receiving cards from.  I have always enjoyed taking the photo, composing the letter, and mailing the cards, I think hearing from old friends is my favorite thing about the season!  But..........one computer is in the process of crashing, and my printer upstairs (attached to this computer) is working, sporadically.  So, I have about 1/2 of my letters printed.  Argh.  If you are reading this and haven't received a card from us by Friday, please email me your address!!!!

In order to bypass some of the craziness this season, I have ordered online, edible gifts to be sent directly to Tim's parents and my mom.  I hoped to avoid the post office, but found myself dumpster-diving this afternoon for boxes to mail gifts to the children of some of the Marines who are in the brig.  This is our CYO Angel Tree project for Christmas.  Do you think it is in bad taste to send toys in  Jack Daniel's or Marlboro cardboard boxes?  So, I will be at the post office some tomorrow, and probably Thursday, as well.

Today I gathered all the stockings up and filled them to be sure I had bought enough of the right stuff for each of the kids.  I found myself cutting open blister packets of some items so that they would fit better in the stockings.  Someone stole my scissors AGAIN (or maybe I left them somewhere....), so I was using an 8 inch long hunting knife which happened to be in the bedroom.  I am lucky I still have all my fingers.  We will take stockings to our mountain vacation, but only a present or two for each of the kids - the big things will be here waiting for them when they get back.  Even since we started limiting the kids' gifts to 3 each from Santa, it still seems like an overwhelming amount of stuff.  I have asked my sister, who sends gifts every year, if we can cut back - I always feel guilty because there are so many of us, and only 4 in her family, and she always buys for everyone.  I don't want Christmas to be about getting for the sake of getting.  Giving is nice, and it is fun, but it becomes less so when there are time and money constraints.  At this time last year, I thought I would like to give everyone (extended family) a "homemade Christmas".  I planned to burn a CD of family favorites - make cookies and sew hats, that sort of thing.  Maybe next year.  Sigh.  I am still finishing up teacher's gifts, which are cookie-mix in a jar.  It will be so good to get all this stuff put away.  I think I've abandoned the idea of actually relaxing before we head to VA.  But maybe then............

No comments:

Post a Comment