Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Funeral

I returned last night from Michigan, where I went home for my brother's funeral.  It was wonderful to see the people whose lives he had touched in his 53 years.  My sister who is closest to his age and who shared many of the same friends, wrote a beautiful eulogy, both touching and amusing.  She knew him better than most of us, I think.  As sad as the finality of it all was, it is good to know that he is no longer in pain.  And it was good to see his life remembered with laughter.  Apparently as teenagers, he and some of his friends hoisted a chrome car bumper 50 feet up into the branches of a big oak tree at the park across the street from my mom's house.  I never knew it was there, but they said they used to sit up there and survey the neighborhood.  After the funeral luncheon, they all drove over to the park to view the bumper and my brother John videotaped their conversations and laughter.  I think the whole event from visitation to the funeral mass and their gathering at the base of the tree was handled with dignity and was a celebration of his life, which is a wonderful tribute to Dennis and his family.  I pray now that his wife and his son will continue to remember him with joy and that they will find peace and solace in each other as they go on without him.  Wendy is blessed with a supportive family on both sides, and she is a woman of strength, so I know that in time she will be OK.

It was nice to have this small chunk of time to spend with my mom and the rest of my siblings.  As my own children grow, I am beginning to see traits that some of them share with some of my brothers. It is fun to compare personalities, as they are all so different.  I didn't realize until I was on my way home from the airport, though, how very much I missed my husband and my kids.    They are my HOME.  My family.  Not to minimize any of the relationships we have with our extended families, but it is a great feeling to know that those who are most important to me were here waiting for me when I got home.  I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment