Monday, June 4, 2007

From a Fallen Warrior's Mom...

This email came today from the mother of one of our Fallen Warriors: 

"Thanks for sharing the article with me.  Sounds like Ben was having a little fun over there too.  I really appreciate all that has been done for us. Ben told me he wanted to be a Marine because they were the best.  I definitely agree - Marines are the best. 
 
Ben truly received a heros welcome home.  People lined the streets - saluting and waving flags.  There were fire trucks on every overpass on the expressway - with firemen/policemen saluting and waving. It was overwhelming.
 
I want you to know our "CACO"? officer - Gunnery Sgt. Roy Jackson has been sent by God.  No one could have done a better job for us. I just cannot say enough.  Keep the rest of Ben's brothers safe. I am continuing to pray for each and every one of you."
 
God Bless,
Brenda Desilets
Proud Mother of Cpl. Ben Desilets
 
I spoke to this woman on the phone last week before the memorial service.  As hard as it was to initiate that phone call, I felt better after our conversation.  She is an amazing woman - so strong, so brave, so gracious, and such an inspiration.  To suffer the loss of a child is unimaginable to most of us.  I am not sure that I would be so strong.  I do know the Marines of his battalion are better for having served with Ben.  I know I am better for having had this encounter with his mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment