Friday, May 25, 2007

Loss...

My husband's unit had three casualties this week - one injury, two deaths.  The Marines who died were both 21 years old, one had a wife, one had a child.  We are all reeling a bit from the news.  I know we all are aware that these things happen, but it always seems to be someone else........

The memorial service was this afternoon in Iraq.  They taped it to send to the families of the Marines.  I imagine that it was an emotional service - these Marines were both well liked members of their battery.  We are lucky to have such a great team - our Key Volunteers are rallying together to show support to the families of the fallen warriors, and to each other, since this hit close to home for all of us.  I don't think anyone can predict how they will react to such news.  It seems so selfish to say, "I'm glad it wasn't my husband".  We have all imagined what it would be like to have a Marine in uniform come to the door with news that our husbands have been taken from us.  It is one of the things that bonds us as Marine Corps wives.  On Wednesday, a Marine in uniform came to my door.  My heart skipped a beat until I saw he was alone, and holding an invitation to an upcoming change of command.  Within 30 minutes of his leaving, I got two phone calls from two friends who also have deployed husbands, and who also had a visit from this same Marine.  We all had the same initial reaction.  War is hell.

My husband forwarded this email from a friend.  I thought it was nice, and another example of  the "brotherhood of arms" that we are priveledged to belong to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes, LtCol's wonder how they didn't get command and how the other guy got so lucky to be a Commander.  I don't ever wonder that.  As much of an honor and privilege it is to be in Command, we sometimes take for granted the overwhelming responsibility and what some might consider to be a
tremendous burden. I know how proud you are to be a Marine and to be
commanding Marines, especially in Battle.  Last week and today were examples  of the weight  you carry each day that most do not.  I'm sorry about your loss.  If  you need anything please let me know.  Especially if it involves talking.
God Bless."

No comments:

Post a Comment