Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Feeling Lucky...

Mick was admitted to the hospital on Saturday morning for possible pneumonia.  He was on oxygen in the ICU till yesterday, when my husband convinced the Drs to let us bring him home with the setup to give him oxygen here, as needed.  Fortunately, he only needs it at night, and when he takes his naps.  His sats are fine when he is awake.  Unfortunately, this translates to little sleep for me since Saturday, since I spent the the three hospital nights with him, and am monitoring him now at home (without nurses coming in when the warning alarm on the machine goes off).  Tim is in the field until Friday evening, at which time he gets to take over so I can catch up on sleep! 

Through this all, our friends and neighbors have been absolutely fabulous!!!!!  From phone calls, emails, prayers, and offers from everything to kid shuttling, babysitting, meal-making, (no one has offered to do my laundry, darn!).  We have dinner coming throughout the middle of next week.  The amount of food people are bringing is amazing, too.  I think they think they are feeding an army.  I don't cook nearly as much as the food they are supplying!  It's all good, all generous, and I can't complain.  I feel so lucky to know so many great people who care enough to try and make things easier for me so that I can take care of Mick.  The rest of the kids are a little confused about why we are suddenly being provided with dinner from a different family every night, but I've explained to them that that's what you do when someone is sick, and that it makes people feel good to help.  I do wonder how much of this response is because we are in a military community, where people naturally draw together to support one another, because, often, extended families don't live nearby.  I'd like to think that communities are like this everywhere, but I do consider us blessed to live among the Marine Corps finest families!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to here that Mick has been ill, is he feeling better now? I know the feelings about having oxygen tanks in the house all too well :(

    Yet I am sure that beats being at the hospital.

    ReplyDelete