Monday, April 20, 2009

What's next?!

So, just found out today that the kid who has flat feet, ADHD (or maybe not), learning "differences", and struggles with depression also has SCOLIOSIS!!!! He came home with a note from the school nurse asking that his Dr evaluate him since she noticed during the school screening that one shoulder is lower than the other. I hadn't noticed. The Dr took a look at him, ran his finger down his backbone, and said that he does have scoliosis, and showed me where his spine curves. The good news is, he said it is so slight and insignificant that nothing needs to be done, and it shouldn' t impact his growth or get worse. The Dr said, "If you, his own mother didn't notice, it is minor." Which made me think: do I not look closely enough at my kids? Should I be paying more attention? I wonder what else I am missing? Good grief.

We saw a psychiatrist a few weeks ago to evaluate Timmy's ADHD meds, and to discuss the family history of bi-polar and depression. She read the psychologist's report, and talked first to me, then to Timmy alone, and then to me alone again. She said he shows signs of depression and anxiety, but based on the report she had read and her observations while talking with him, the anxiety is the worst of the two. She concurs with the psych that he likely does not have ADHD, but that his focus problems and difficulty in school may be related to a neurological issue. She also said she didn't see signs of bi-polar, at least so far. So, we have a referral to a pediatric neurologist, who will probably be in DC or Richmond. She did put him on Zoloft for his anxiety. I went home and read up on it, and it is not recommended for adolescents except for treatement of OCD, which he does not have. But she's the doc, right? And, after a week on the Zoloft, I saw incredible changes in Timmy's mood and behavior. He has been much more positive, has gotten up on time and out the door early for school nearly every morning . He is like a different kid. When I discussed that with his psychologist, he said that he would not have recommended Zoloft with the family history of bi-polar illness, but that he is very glad that it is working for Timmy. So, at least for now, scoliosis and flat feet aside, he seems to be on a sunnier path. I am just glad to see him happier. Now we just have to keep plugging away at the school part.

Molly just came in here and asked if I was writing about her. I told her that I wasn't, and she said, "It figures". Implying that she is the lost, neglected and forgotten one! When I asked her if she would like me to write about the drama in her life, she said, "I guess not". Teenagers. God help me!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I love it when medicine works! We are taking Victor to Johns Hopkins this summer...keep your fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete