Thursday, August 7, 2008

"Mommy is a Spy!"

When we lived here 11 years ago, my neighbor's sister-in-law was a mystery shopper in this area.  I remember her talking about how she got her oil changed for free, and free meals, etc, in exchange for making customer service evaluations.  I looked into it shortly after we moved in, and have acquired a new hobby!  So far, I have audited a preschool/daycare center, and I have conducted several fast food shop evaluations.  I am hoping to branch out a bit, and find something that pays a little better (or reimburses more) and won't sabotage my healthier diet.  I have lost 20 lbs since April, and eating burgers and fries a few times a week surely isn't going to make it easy to maintain!  However, I have been using these fast food shops to take the kids out, one at a time for a "date with mom".  They enjoy it, and clamor to be next.  I have one tonight 15 minutes away, which I have to visit 30 minutes before closing time.  I won't be doing these later shops often.  I don't think they are worth the $, but I do look forward to having Molly along this evening.  I will be able to write off  any computer related expenses when we file for taxes this year.  I will also be responsible for my taxes as an independent contractor.  So I am saving everything.  I don't anticipate making buckets of money, but it would be nice to get discounts or reimbursed for goods and services I use anyhow.  And if I am wise and coordinate my errands with my assignments, I can write off the mileage.  I did find it amusing that the oil change assignment I saw was for all cars except Saturns and 15 passenger vans.  Guess what I drive?!  Good thing Tom changes the oil in our vehicles at the base hobby shop already!  I would love to be able to get lasix eye surgery - how cool would it be if I could get that reimbursed for evaluating the Dr and the eye care center?  I am keeping my eyes open! 

No comments:

Post a Comment